Sunday, May 4, 2014

Twenty Seven Weeks 2.0

Oh hey, look at that! Third trimester! And just like clockwork, I had to visit the ER this week.

I was just hanging outside with Sam when my heart started pounding uncontrollably and I had to lay down inside my back door to stop myself from passing out. My breathing was labored, I was hot, sweaty, shaking and nauseous. I took my pulse and it was around 147 bpm. WAYYY too high! When I still didn't feel better a few minutes after laying down, I went and got Sam inside (almost passed out again in the process), turned on a movie, stripped off all my clothes, got a glass of water and put my feet up. FINALLY, after about two hours I started to feel a bit better. it was awful.

I just figured it was a particularly bad pregnancy day for me so I shot an email to my ob. I got a call from a nurse right when I was coming out of my episode. She seemed concerned that the issue was with my heart and not pregnancy related at all (also taking into account the other times this has happened, my high heart rate throughout the pregnancy, the fact that my blood sugar and iron levels are okay, etc). So, she told me I should head to the ER for some tests and monitoring since the Kaiser facilities aren't equipped for that.

BAHHH. I didn't want to but I was freaked out enough that we headed over and had my mom meet us. Friday night in the ER we knew could take awhile. We ultimately spent 7 hours there while my mom took Sam home and kept him happy and put him to sleep (though not easily, stinker!) They did a full blood panel, gave me a bag of fluids/electrolytes, did an EKG and chest xray and then sent us to labor and delivery to monitor the baby for an hour. PHEW.

After all that, they sent me home with, "we don't really know what's wrong but it's not normal and shouldn't be happening" We do know that I have no blood clots in my heart or lungs. We also know that my bp is super low when. sitting (consistently around 90/50 while I was there) and that my resting heart rate seems to hover around 90 (still high, but not as crazy as when I'm having my episodes). One doctor's theory was that my bp is so low when I'm sitting that when I stand, my heart has to pump crazily fast to catch up. Makes sense, but again, shouldn't be happening. The baby could be putting an extra strain on my heart just by being in there. So now I have a consult with a cardiologist. I'll have to get a 24 hour halter monitor to see if there's any arrhythmia or abnormality they can pick up.

Sigh. Can I just NOT be a super dramatic pregnant lady for once? The good news is baby looks and sounds  perfect, so while his vessel may be busted, he isn't suffering for it. :)

Symptoms: well, passing out obviously! leg cramps, lots of abdominal stretching pains, heartburn all the time from nothing and just generally feeling worn down and exhausted
Weight: still hovering around 142-143 depending on the day.
Sleep: good when my husband and Sam are cooperating. Usually around 2-3 am I wake up to pee and then cannot fall back to sleep bc of my husband's snoring or I can't get comfortable
Food Cravings: I can't think of anything really except nutella out of the jar. haha.  I haven't had much of an appetite this week.
Best Moment this week: this week has been a mess. but I am now in my third tri. home stretch!
Movement: so much. freaky little octopus baby!
Labor signs: nope
Gender: boy
Belly button: still popped
What do I miss: not having dramatic health issues!
What am I looking forward to: meeting with all the new drs that can hopefully give me some damn answers!

Weekly Wisdom: don't throw razor cartridges away where toddlers can reach. I forgot to even add that little tidbit about our week: Sam tried to remove his thumbprint with a razor blade on Thursday. it was a mess that wouldn't stop bleeding. Long story but all is okay now except a disgusting wound that I have to keep clean and dry on a two year old...riiiiight.

No comments:

Post a Comment