Sunday, December 11, 2011

18 Weeks...and POP!

If you consider that 36 weeks is technically full term, I am halfway done with this pregnancy today. I know most first babies are often late but the simple idea that I am nearing the halfway point of this is baffling to me. I went from having a teeny little baby bump to popping straight out in a matter of a few days. I first noticed it the other night when after eating a few bites of pasta, I felt like I could not breathe for a good hour. I went to bed that night and woke up the next day to see a complete and total transformation in my body.

I am not sure if it is actually the baby, or if it is all my other internal organs being pushed up by this baby...but I am carrying HIGH and straight out. I always knew this would be an issue with my teeny torso, but the visual impact is actually stunning. As I was showing off the bump to my mom, she noticed that my ribs which usually stick out pretty far are no longer noticeable because of the hard baby bump. Because I am carrying so high already, I am noticing the difficulty breathing, rib pain and hiccups! See for yourself:

I might start including my face in these pictures because I finally got my hair done! I still feel skinnier everywhere else but my big belly.

18 Week Bump Update:
How far along:  18 weeks!
How big is baby: Today, Peanut is the size of a sweet potato! The actual measurements are 5.7 inches and almost 7 ounces...no wonder I'm having trouble breathing!
Total weight gain: I hopped on my mom's scale the other day and it looks like I'm still riding the line of 3-4 pounds gained. I know I am going to get in trouble for this at my next doctor's appointment. I swear I'm not TRYING to starve my baby. I think my body just did not need to gain any weight yet. I'm going to trust it...it seems to know what it's doing.
Sleep: I've definitely noticed in the last couple of days that I am very uncomfortable on my back. All the pressure from baby pushes on my spinal cord and it is definitely not fun. I'm normally a side sleeper anyway, so that's good!
Best moment of the week: Josh felt our little Peanut for one brief second the other day. I'm convinced this kid does somersaults in there...I will never forget the smile on his face and how wide his eyes were.  
Food cravings:  Still really *needing* lemony pasta. I haven't gone to the grocery store yet so that's definitely on my to do list. I am thinking angel hair pasta with lots of lemon juice, garlic and some fresh parmesan cheese on top. DROOL. Also, house salads from restaurants. Just a simple lettuce, cucumber, carrot salad with a few croutons and ranch dressing. It's never the same at home!
Food aversions:  Still not really wanting meat ever. I'll eat it but I definitely don't want it.
Symptoms:  Congestion, difficulty breathing, rib pain (almost like a stitch in my side from running), abdominal aches, exhaustion!
Movement:  After less movement last week, I am starting to feel stronger baby movements although they are still less frequent than those early flutters. When Josh felt the baby move I had been feeling rolling motions from one side of my abdomen to the other for about 5 minutes. I grabbed his hand and he felt it for a second and then Peanut was still. Daddy calms the baby apparently. :)
Gender:  Still getting pretty strong girl vibes. I honestly have no idea though. Now that I'm carrying high more people have told me they think it's a girl.
What I’m looking forward to:  Watching our little one on the ultrasound to see if it really is as active in there as it feels like! I hope we get to see some movement but I kind of doubt it. This baby likes to move around more after dinner and before bed and my appointment is early in the morning.
What I miss: Seeing my ribs! Still having some trouble standing up if I'm on the ground...it is difficult to maneuver around this hard lump in my belly!
Next apt:  Still waiting til my birthday. 9 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment