Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Sick and Embarrassing...

Somehow over the past couple of days, I have come down with some kind of icky cold virus. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. It's that time of the year. I work face to face with customers all day. And I spend 8 hours touching all kinds of dirty shopping cart handles the other day trying to knock out some Christmas shopping. Over the weekend I was mostly just feeling worn down, kind of dizzy and weird. I knew something was coming but I had no clue what.

Yesterday at work it finally hit with full force. The big giant sneezes, the dripping snotty nose, the watery stinging eyes. YUCK. This was all made worse by the fact that the only material available to blow my nose in was the cheapest toilet paper imaginable...you know...the kind that basically feels like rough tissue paper and doesn't absorb any moisture whatsoever? By the end of my shift my nose was raw and stinging. I knew I needed to get to the grocery store immediately for some orange juice, soup and medicine.

As I'm walking around an unfamiliar grocery store (the closest one to my work), I was mindlessly throwing things into my basket that I thought might make me feel better. Cambell's chicken noodle soup: the kind you ate when you were 5. Little tangerines. Soft Kleenex. Vicks Vaporub (hate this stuff but it works!). I was *almost* to the medicine aisle when I felt it coming on: a giant sneeze. When you're sick the sneezes turn evil. They are so huge they bend your whole body into some crazy contorted torture pose. Well, I felt it coming on but I couldn't stop it. I sneezed in the middle of this store...and totally peed my pants. Welcome to being sick while having something the size of a sweet potato lying on your bladder. :(

Thankfully, my pants were black so the wet spot was not noticeable. I grabbed the closest medicine I could find that was on the pregnancy safe list and booked it out of there as fast as I could. Walking out to my car in the freezing temperatures with soaking wet pants was really fun. As was sitting in them for the 15 minute drive home. Looking back now I can only laugh, but last night it was just sick and embarrassing.

No comments:

Post a Comment