Monday, January 2, 2012

21 Weeks!

Now that I am onto the "2nd hump" of this pregnancy, I kind of find myself not wanting to wish it away or rush it. We only get to hold our babies this close to us for 40 short weeks. The beginning stages of pregnancy are so distracting: between worrying about a potential loss, to making sure everything was developing correctly in there it is almost like you forget that there is a real person growing inside of you. Now that I have made it this far, I find myself feeling so much more attached to this little bump sticking out of my tummy. I still have these daily moments of "oh my gosh, there is a baby in there!"

I have definitely noticed that even when you're pregnant, you can still be very noticeably bloated. Depending on when I go to the bathroom, my baby bump looks much more prominent. Gross, I know! It also makes me chuckle a little that I get all worked up over a bigger bump and then the next day, it is deflated again. Oops! This week, I feel much smaller than I did last week. I woke up one day a few days ago and I swore I did not have a bump anymore! I am going to blame it on the fact that during Christmas week, we were eating a lot of really rich and big meals. Now that those have "passed" I am back to normal. Haha. Okay, enough bathroom talk for today! {I can't wait until the topic of my conversations are my baby's poopy diapers...you know it's going to happen}

Lately, I have just been feeling unattractive. I knew I was going to get "pregnant face" where my cheeks chunk up like a chipmunk. I have always had chubby cheeks, even at my skinniest. I have been using intense amounts of blush and bronzer to sculpt define cheekbones that are covered in pudge. I know I am just being silly, but sometimes I wish I was one of those tiny tiny girls who did not even look pregnant except for the basketball in their belly. Whatever.

Here I am at 21 weeks!



21 Week Bump Update:
How far along:  21 weeks!
How big is baby: According to thebump.com, baby is the size of a banana this week. I think this is the most ridiculous comparison ever seeing as how last week, baby was the size of a cantaloupe. Correct me if I am wrong, but a banana is a LOT smaller than a cantaloupe! Now, the reason for this stupid comparison is that the baby is now measured from head to toe instead of head to rump. So the banana comparison is more about length than weight. Baby should be right around 10.5 inches total now and around 12 oz. (as heavy as a can of Coke!)
Total weight gain: Still resting right around 4-5 pounds. When I look back at my 8 week pictures, I look so TINY compared to now...I cannot believe the difference 5 pounds makes!
Sleep: Still pretty much only getting sleep on my left side. One odd thing I'm doing lately is sleeping with my shirt pulled up over my belly. For some reason, it is much more comfortable to "let the belly breathe!" I don't know why, I think it is a temperature thing...I'm weird!
Best moment of the week: New Years Eve! I am not one to really care about big New Year's parties and drinking, so I was not sad about missing out on that this year. But at midnight, Josh kissed me and whispered in my ear, "we are going to have a son this year." It sounds so cheesy now, but it was honestly a goosebump moment.
Food cravings:  Macaroni and Cheese! The really gooey frozen kind that you microwave. I may or may not have eaten that three times in a week...*blush*
Food aversions:  Mostly it is just the smell of things. My sister made hamhocks and beans the other day which is usually something I love, but I had to run out of the house because the smell was triggering my gag reflex. Something about the smell of meat has gotten to me this whole pregnancy. The sausage smell in Mcdonalds in the morning? The death of me!
Symptoms:  More nausea actually, I think brought on by not eating enough. Only the simplest most basic tastes and textures are working for me. Leg cramps! Especially at night, if I move my feet in bed I get the worst Charlie horses. Heartburn. Metallic taste in the back of my mouth all the time (really really weird) Movement:  We officially have KICKS! I started noticing odd and stronger sensations a couple of days ago. They are really down low...like honestly only a couple inches above my pubic bone. They feel like constant little thumps. I don't know if Peanut is punching or kicking but it is nonstop. I also had a few days where I got the *strangest* feeling of my stomach turning over like it does on a roller coaster and I realized it had to be the baby flipping over. So exciting!!!
Gender:  BOY!!!!
What I’m looking forward to: We still need to do our registry. I can't wait to get my hands on some baby stuff. I'm also looking forward to "nesting" a little and getting a nursery ready.
What I miss: Just one day where I feel great all day! It's never anything huge, but I told Josh the other day that I never expected pregnancy to be this hard! It's exhausting and I have a few moments every day still where I feel so nauseous. And my allergies are so much worse. I just want to feel great for one day!
Next apt:January 17th. I believe we will be talking about a glucose test at that point which I HOPE I pass because if I don't I have to give up my beloved carbs (aka the only thing that doesn't make me nauseous), I am not really nervous, I am not overweight and I have no risk factors of gestational diabetes but still!

No comments:

Post a Comment