Saturday, November 26, 2011

16 Weeks!

One of my very best friends got in a horrific car accident when she was 16 weeks pregnant, and by some miracle, her baby survived. Through a shattered pelvis, countless other broken bones and the ordeal of being thrown out of a car window at 75 mph, that baby lived. That baby is now a beautiful, smart, sweet three year old little girl. My life would not be the same without her or her mommy in it and it is so eye-opening to think that my friend was at this point in her pregnancy when all that occurred.

I feel so blessed to have a relatively "uneventful" pregnancy. I also feel more strongly that a woman's body is designed to envelope and protect these little beings from the world and all it's troubles and pain until they are ready to enter it. It makes me teary to look down at my little round tummy and know that one day I will have a sweet, smart three year old to show for it. What an amazing thing to be able to create and nurture a life. It is not just a fetus, a baby, a child...it is a soul...a heart...a spirit. I only hope to instill the best things in this little spirit and guide this life in a happy direction.

Here I am at sixteen weeks pregnant and I am so happy to be able to do this. In four short weeks, I will be halfway done with this amazing feat of life. In four short weeks, we will found out if that future child will be a boy or a girl. And we will be ecstatic either way.

My body is looking and feeling much the same. I am in an in between stage...I definitely look a little pregnant, but no big POP yet. I am so looking forward to that day. Here's the bump:



16 Week Bump Update:
How far along:  16 weeks! At the end of the 4th whole month of pregnancy. How is that even possible?!
How big is baby: This week our little peanut is about the length of a large avocado. About 4.5-5 inches and weighing in at a whopping 3.5oz! What made this seem more concrete to me was thinking of it as the size of the chicken breast you eat for dinner. Most meat servings are around 4 oz.
Total weight gain: I have only gained 3 pounds so far. I am trying to get on track with eating regularly and more healthy things. I know the weight gain will catch up with me eventually. For now, all I care about is that the baby is doing okay.
Sleep:  I have developed pregnancy insomnia. For no real reason, sometimes I just cannot fall asleep! Even when I am so tired I can barely keep my eyes open, I just can't drift off.
Best moment of the week: Thanksgiving for sure! We deep fried a turkey and it was delicious. As anticipated, the green bean casserole I just *had* to have was completely underwhelming to me. I was way more into my mom's delicious stuffing.
Food cravings:  I cannot think of anything new. I guess ketchup. I normally hate ketchup but I have found myself dipping fries in ketchup when we grab food from Wendy's or something. Yum.
Food aversions:  Eggs. I cannot handle the smell of eggs. Raw, cooked (especially in sweet things like cookies...all I can taste is the eggy flavor inside it.) VOMIT!
Symptoms:  Insomnia, dry eyes, aching feet by the end of the day.
Movement:  YES! Still feeling Peanut fluttering away in there. No real rhyme or reason to when...I just notice it most when I'm sitting still and relaxing. Sometimes when I start eating something, I can tell the baby is getting some nutrients because it will start moving right away.
Gender:  Still thinking boy. My brother in law Nick weighed in when we saw him today...and he said he hoped for a boy. But my father in law keeps calling our baby his "future granddaughter." :) Who knows!
What I’m looking forward to:  Real baby kicks. A Little more energy would be good too.
What I miss: Being able to have a glass of wine after a stressful day. I know that sounds completely alcoholic of me, but sometimes it is so nice to just get that little buzz and kill the stress. No wine for me though! Maybe I'll turn to chocolate....
Next apt:  December 20th. My 25th birthday! We get to do the big anatomy scan and ultrasound to make sure everything is growing as it should. The ultrasound itself is an hour long so that is a lot of baby viewing time! I am so so excited...now if only I can wait that long!

No comments:

Post a Comment