Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Real 8 Weeks

Since our due date set back last week, I have felt a little bummed that I had to "re-do" weeks 7 and 8. I know that is a little ridiculous because I never did them in the first place, technically.

Alas, today I have legitimately made the 8 week marker and I will say that things are just starting to feel more and more real. We already have our 10 week ultrasound scheduled to hear the baby's heartbeat. This morning, I got a call from a geneticists office that my Ob-gyn recommended and made an appointment to do the first trimester screen with them.

Although I am very against amniocentesis and CVS screenings because of the potential risk they serve to me and the baby, I figured this first screening was something that might be nice to have done. That way, at least we have a better idea of what is going on in there. The sweet receptionist told me all about the procedure and what would take place. Basically, its the most non-invasive screen you can imagine. They will do a genetic ultrasound where they will measure the nuchal fold at the back of the baby's neck. Apparently, this can give us some clue as to the possibility of down syndrome and other issues that might arise. Then all I have to do is a finger poke to give some blood that they will screen for a specific hormone that can point towards Trisomy 18, 21 and other genetic issues.

I do not believe that I would do anything differently with the pregnancy if we found out we even had a 100% chance of a genetic disorder. I know it is something you never want to happen to you, but honestly that is our baby in there. And we will love that baby no matter what. It is kind of surreal thinking of these huge life changing things this early in pregnancy, but I am so thankful that we have the technology available to give us some peace of mind.

This test is apparently 91% accurate in detecting the markers of down syndrome. Although Josh and I have literally no cause for concern as neither of our families have genetic disorders within them I still feel like it will be good to know. In addition, it is another excuse to see our little peanut in there.

I feel very blessed that we are getting to see the baby as much as we are:
7 weeks
10 weeks for the heartbeat ultrasound
12 weeks for the first trimester screening
20 weeks for the determination of gender.

That's all I know about so far. As far as everything else, I feel even more at peace with this pregnancy now. I have seen my little miracle inside of me. I have seen the flicker of a tiny, miraculous heartbeat. I know without a doubt that my body was made to nurture and grow this little bean into a perfect baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment